We are SUPER EXCITED to move this unique and fun-filled class for 3 to 5 year olds that love books and love to boogie to the afternoon so more Bouncing Bookworms can join the merriment! The first class with the time change is TODAY, 11/7/2016, (Mondays) 4:00-4:45.
Miss JoAnna, our high-energy, enthusiastic reader of all genres, will read age-appropriate books and then teach students how to make scenes come to life through dance and movement. Every week a new book is featured.
FIRST CLASS IS FREE!!!
“Kia’s FR Dance’s is approved by Washoe County School District as a provider for Supervised Curriculum in Physical Education. Dance classes can be signed off for PE credit.”
- Kia’s FR Dance has presented 3 original productions in our FR exclusive Library Series in which, through various story-lines, we bring books to life! We have featured, thus far, 23 books, from childhood favorites to the classics and authors from Dr. Seuss to Edgar Allen Poe! This workshop will be a testing ground, of sorts, for our upcoming 2016 production – “Jack and the Bookstack!” Any camp attendee who is interested in performing in the production in the fall will be cast in the show. We will be holding open auditions on Saturday, July 30 – 10:00 – 11:00 (ages 4-6), 11:00 – 12:00 (ages 7-10), and 12:00 – 1:00 (ages 11+). There will be a make-up audition Saturday, August 20 for those who could not attend the first audition.
- Follow up on Artown’s Discover Tap: Kia, Lane, and Logan were a great success at Artown’s Discover Tap! Kids of all ages – and their parents – learned about rhythm, how to count music half-time, straight-time, and double-time, that tappers use 8 points on their feet to become a percussive instrument, and even learned a short tap combination. We’re ready to take Discover Tap on the road!
- Kia, Lane Saunders, and Logan Strand have been invited to be a part of Artown’s up-coming “Discover” program for July 2016. They will be teaching up to 60 curious 6 to 12 year olds how to Tap Dance! It will be held at the McKinley Arts & Culture Center. Details will be in the Artown events booklet and announced here when date and times are confirmed.
- Kia’s FR Dance is proud to announce that two of our junior students, Stephanie Caramella and Molly Hunsberger, performed for Jersey Shore Entertainment this past holiday, in the production of “Ebenezer, the Musical” at the Eldorado Showroom. AND one of our teen dancers, Camille Redden, is just finishing a 4 month run, of “Footloose”, also with Jersey Shore Entertainment and at the Eldorado Showroom. BRAVA, Ladies!
- We are honored that Kia’s FR Dance has provided the “Santa Tappers” (Rockette-style tapping kick line) for the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra for over 10 years. This year, in addition to our traditional tap line, we also provided long-legged Jazz dancers as part of the RPO’s live entertainment. Dancers do not have to be FR students. Rehearsals start in October and the shows are the first weekend of December. It is a privilege to perform on stage backed by a FULL orchestra! Please contact Kia if you are interested.
- The hard work and dedication of our Competition Team, led by Team Director/Choreographer Miss Diana Sweeney, has had a highly successful season, landing high awards, high scores overall and special awards – from 24/7 Competition to Encore Performing Arts to Spotlight Dance Cup, and last, but not least, StarBound National Talent Competition at Lake Tahoe this June. Auditions for next year’s competition team will be on June 25, details to follow.
- Sign up for our fun, exciting, inspiring, and educational summer camps! Details are on the Summer Programs page.
We follow WCSD’s traditional school year holiday schedule, with few exceptions (which will be posted and announced).
Confirmed holidays are:
- Labor Day
- Halloween/Nevada Day
- Veterans’ Day
- Thanksgiving week
- Christmas/Winter Break
- Martin Luther King Day
- President’s Day
- Easter/Spring Break
- Memorial Day